Sacto 911

Covering crime, police and courts in the Sacramento region

Crime - Sacto 911

Lockdown lifted at three San Juan schools after home intrusion scare

By Benjy Egel

begel@sacbee.com

December 01, 2017 10:28 AM

UPDATED December 01, 2017 12:27 PM

Del Campo High, Will Rogers Middle and Thomas Kelley Elementary schools were briefly locked down Friday morning after suspects connected to a confrontation in a nearby home fled into area streets.

A handyman showed up in the 6500 block of Moraga Drive to find two non-residents inside the home he planned to work on, said Sgt. Shaun Hampton of the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department. A verbal confrontation turned physical before the worker chased the suspected squatters out of the house shortly after 9 a.m.

The three campuses were locked down from 9:11 a.m. to 9:27 a.m. while sheriff’s deputies assigned to the San Juan Unified School District scoured the area in search of the two suspects, followed by a shelter-in-place warning which allowed students and teachers to move about their classrooms.

No arrests had been made as of 10:15 a.m. Friday, though Hampton said the suspects would likely be booked on suspicion of misdeamor trespassing if caught.

Never miss a local story.

Sign up today for a free 30 day free trial of unlimited digital access.

What happens during a school lockdown?

A school lockdown is a precautionary measure issued in response to a direct or nearby threat. It requires staff and students to respond quickly and comply with rules. Here’s how it often works.

Nicole L. Cvetnic McClatchy

Benjy Egel: 916-321-1052, @BenjyEgel